Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature


Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature
Robin Brande

Mena Reece is an outcast of the highest order.  Her own parents wouldn't talk to her.  YIPES!  She must have done something really bad, right?  Wrong.  She simply did what she thought was right. 

But, such is life.  Sometimes doing the right thing produces wrong results (or what you think are the wrong results).  At the beginning.  It's the waiting for the turn around that stinks.  Big time.

Brande does an excellent job of bring us to the middle of Mena's misery.  You really get to know and feel how bad is sucks to be her.  And then we get to see the glimmer of hope.  You get to figure it out before Mena and she's the one telling the story.   Mena is so in the middle of her misery that she can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I go back and forth about the ending.  Sometimes I like how it ended, sometimes I want a different ending.  But, again, such is life.  Most times, get better but the misery-causer doesn't get what's coming to them.   In those cases, I'm reminded of what my daddy used to say, "What goes around comes around and gains momentum in the turns."

I loved this book.  I love it when characters are real and working hard to do the right thing.  I love it when characters become who they are meant to me.  It's awesome and one of my new all time favorites!

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to 7th grade girls and up.  It contains a great lesson about becoming yourself and real friends.
Length: 268 pages
Rating: All Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment