Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Willoughby's



The Willoughby’s
Lois Lowery

First, I have to admit that The Giver is one of my all time favorite books.  So, whenever I see something from Lois Lowery, I usually give it a try.  Second, my all time favorite Christmas book is Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree.  So, I had a double good reason to pick up this book.  Then I read the cover “A Novel Nefariously Written &  Ignominiously Illustrated by the Author” and I was hooked.  Hadn’t even opened the book yet. 

The Willoughby’s is a dark comedy.  The children want to be rid of their parents.  The parents want to be rid of their children.  But they don’t just want to be rid of them, they have a plan to GET rid of them.  Across town eccentric millionaire candy maker is drowning in trash and grief.  The Willoughby’s inadvertently help him learn to live again.  In the end, everyone gets what he or she wants. 

But what I really love about this book is the rich vocabulary and references to orphan themed children’s literature.  And because she’s awesome, Lowry provides both a glossary and a bibliography.  


Recommendation: I would recommend this book for 4th-6th graders.
Length: 176 pages
Rating: Loved It!




No comments:

Post a Comment